Electoral Literacy Clubs are being set up in the country to promote electoral literacy in all age groups of the Indian citizens through engaging and interesting activities and hands-on experience but in an apolitical, neutral and non-partisan manner. Electoral Literacy Clubs are especially being set up in colleges all across India targeting the new voters, (in the age group of 18-21 years old) pursuing their graduation. The club will have all the students from all semesters as its members. The following sections will talk in detail on how the ELC will be set up, who will be its participants, convener, where and how it will be conducted and what activities it will include.
Objectives of the club
1. To educate the targeted populations about voter registration, electoral process and
related matters through hands on experience;
2. To facilitate EVM and VVPAT familiarization and education about the robustness of
EVM as well as the integrity of the electoral process using EVMs;
3. To help the target audience understand the value of their vote and exercise their right
to franchise in a confident, comfortable and ethical manner;
4. To harness the potential of ELC members for carrying the electoral literacy in
5. To facilitate voter registration for its eligible members who are not yet registered;
6. To develop a culture of electoral participation and maximize the informed and ethical
voting and follow the principle 'Every vote count' and 'No Voter to be Left Behind'.
What shall we do in ELCs
In the ELCs, members will be part of interesting and thought-provoking, mostly classroombased activities and games which will the students to become an ‘Empowered (Prospective)
Dr.Herald Ivan Monis